VIZ Media is looking for a Network & Systems Administrator to join our Information Technology team! This position is part of a team that supports an innovative anime & manga publisher and media company. Candidates should enjoy being surrounded by great content and action figures.
The Network and Systems Administrator will work closely with the IT team to manage all aspects of the company’s IT needs and develop robust strategies for server & data management. Goals include service uptime, systems simplification, supporting business needs, and data center automation.
- Manages & supports all technological systems (network, storage, servers, computers, devices, software systems, & others) at optimal performance levels
- Documents all aspects of technological solutions
- Analyzes and resolves technological issues
- Evaluates potential technological solutions for current business needs and projected business strategy
- Participates in 24 x 7 coverage of key technological systems. Works on-call hours to solve and fix issues outside of regular business hours.
- Plans and leads technological project implementations
- Educates and cross-trains with existing IT staff on technological systems
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Strong Enterprise networking protocols, application management & support including e-mail, web and file server administration
- Strong Linux and Unix Systems administration
- Apple and Microsoft Systems administration
- Vendor relationship management
- Documentation creation and maintenance
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Network infrastructure support
- Switches (extreme & brocade)
- DNS, DHCP
- pfSense firewall
- Sonic Wall VPN
- User & Group management
- Internal User-Facing Services
- Linux servers
- Windows server management
- Google Apps for Business (Email, Calendar, Drive, etc.)
- Nagios/opsview for monitoring
- External-facing services
- Data Storage & Backups
- ZFS (strongly preferred)
- NFS, SMB, and AFP NAS with OSX and Windows clients
- Fibrechannel SAN
- Drives quota management
- Cloud Storage (Amazon S3/Glacier)
- Desktop/helpdesk support
- o Casper for desktop management
- Mobile device support
- Phone support
- IP Telephony system (AVAYA preferred)
- Network Automation
- Bash/Perl/Ruby scripting for common tasks and system configuration
- Puppet, Opsworks, or Chef system automation
- Remote/Cloud Support
- Amazon Web Services general usage and administration
- Connects to remote servers and systems to make changes through ssh/https
- Maintains security on public facing systems - Firewall support
- Ability to maintain tact and strict confidentiality regarding all Human Resource, Finance, and Legal programs
- Proficiency with computer usage, including email, Internet, and standard software and hardware
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
- Ability to work late or on weekends on occasion and be on call for emergencies, 24x7
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
- 2 - 3 years of relevant business experience in addition to:
- 2 years in IT Operations, Desktop Support, Server Support, or Network Operations
- 1 year in Project Management, Application Integration, Enterprise application administration
- Equivalent of Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position
This position does not supervise others, but may give guidance to the work of interns and freelancers.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Approximately 90% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices. Primarily works in an office environment, requiring the following activity: lifting and carrying materials weighing up to 25 pounds, kneeling, bending. Must be able to use standard office equipment such as copiers and faxes. Must be able to travel occasionally as needed.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights and weekends, on an as-needed basis is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands.
Please send your detailed cover letter, resume, AND salary requirements. Please specify “Network & Systems Administrator” when applying.
By e-mail (NO ATTACHMENTS!!!) to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!!!