We are looking for a Human Resources Generalist to join our HR & Admin team!
What you’ll do:
Who you are:
- You will be instrumental in maintaining a successful company culture and working community as our business grows and evolves.
- You will be a central information source for the employees of VIZ Media, helping them to best utilize the company’s resources.
- You will work closely with the HR department head and internal teams to develop and maintain tools and programs to help the company and its people succeed.
- You are fair, tactful, analytical, resourceful, and clever.
- You may or may not be a fan of anime and manga, but you are (or will be) a fan of the people who spend their days at VIZ Media getting it out into the world, and a fan of our customers who love what we do.
- You know when to take things seriously. You also know when to step back, look around, and notice that you can see Naruto, Hello Kitty, Doraemon, and Sailor Moon from your desk.
This position partners in the overall development, implementation, and administration of Human Resources and Administration activities of VIZ Media. This business professional supports and enhances a full array of HR and Admin business facets including benefits & wellness, staffing, engagement, and community relations, and ensures they are performed in adherence to VIZ’s organizational goals and applicable employment regulations.
- Oversees administration of a spectrum of benefits and wellness programs and initiatives – maintains records and reporting, partners with brokers and vendors, and communicates with and educates the VIZ population about how to best utilize them.
- Works closely with department head and external recruiters and agencies to support all staffing activities for approved regular, temporary, and internship positions. Partners with hiring managers to create job descriptions and postings for new positions.
- Conducts new employee orientation and onboarding, working closely with teams to ensure successful integration of employees, interns, and temps into the VIZ Media world. Generates new hire communication and initiation of new hire process with internal staff.
- Maintains meticulous HR records, including usage of HRIS system, HR server organization, and other applicable systems. Provides routine administrative support for Human Resources department.
- Helps department head analyze trends in data and reporting to make recommendations.
- Assists with company meetings, celebrations, and events, collaborating with staff and vendors. Supports creation and implementation of employee rewards programs. Dances at the holiday party.
- Participates in development and implementation of disaster preparedness and risk management plans. Partners closely with Corporate Support staff to educate staff about safety programs.
- Supports continued development of community relations and philanthropic programs, including employee involvement, organization selection, and scheduling. Leads organization of anime/manga club and school tour groups.
- Regularly researches HR, industry, and market trends to support the development of VIZ Media and its employees.
In addition to these responsibilities, performs other activities as assigned
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality, tact, and discretion regarding all aspects of human resources activities is A MUST.
- Proficiency with city (SF), state, and federal employment law A MUST.
- Proficiency with HRIS systems and reporting (ADP Workforce Now) STRONGLY PREFERRED.
- Ability to effectively coordinate administration of an extensive Human Resources program.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and over the telephone. Strong writing skills.
- Proficiency with computer usage, including email, Internet, and standard software.
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English.
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff.
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork.
- Ability to work legally in the United States.
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area.
MINIMUM PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND EDUCATION
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in effective and progressive performance in Human Resources, preferably in an entertainment or publishing environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to the human resources field - HRCI certification PREFERRED.
- Strong administrative and coordination background.
- Equivalent of Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this position.
This position does not directly supervise the work of others, but may provide guidance to HR temps, contractors, and vendors.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
This positions works predominantly in an office environment. Approximately 75% of time spent on the job involves use of a video display terminal; therefore, must be able to sit for extended periods and to utilize standard ergonomics practices.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related images including content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Employees should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
Employees must adhere to all applicable VIZ Media policies and procedures. Regular and predictable attendance is required. Willingness and ability to work non-standard business hours, such as nights, on an as-needed basis, is required. Employees must be able to cope effectively with deadlines and multiple demands. Strict adherence to confidentiality is required.
Please send your cover letter, resume, AND salary requirements. Please specify "Human Resources Generalist" when applying.
By e-mail (NO ATTACHMENTS!!!) to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS!!!