Part-Time Editorial Intern(Part-Time,Paid)
This candidate will assist our Editorial Department, creators of graphic novels and tradebooks. **Candidates for this internship should have previous writing/editing experience and/or interest in a writing/editing career.
- Copyedit manga proofs and scripts as a second reader
- Checking and organizing data file archives
- Conduct assigned editorial research
- Creating series style guides
- Editorial Library maintenance
- Checking printed books
- Perform data entry and copying
- Packaging and shipping
- Provides general Editorial support including: creating PDFs, photocopying, filing
- Organize digital fan art submissions, respond to fan mail
- Build articles and reviews for Shonen Jump as applicable
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Strong command of English grammar and spelling REQUIRED (proofing/copy editing skills PREFERRED)
- Experience/Interest in media publishing, comics industry, and writing.
- General knowledge of manga/anime PREFERRED, but extensive knowledge is not needed
- Japanese reading/writing ability PREFERRED but not required
- Computer literate (Mac systems preferable). Must have basic office computer skills including spreadsheet, database, word processing, CD burning, web browsing, etc.
- Basic knowledge of HTML a PLUS
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
ALL INTERNS MUST:
- be currently enrolled in an accredited college, university, or graduate school program. We will NOT consider candidates who are not currently enrolled in a degree program. Precedence is given to applicants the final two years of undergraduate degrees or those pursuing graduate programs.
- be able to commute to our San Francisco office (94103).
- be legally available to work in the United States.
- be at least 18 years of age at the time of the start of the internship.
- be available to work at least 3 days per week between the hours of 10-5 on weekdays (schedule TBD), to a max of 24 hours.
COMPENSATION AND SCHEDULE
- This position will be compensated at a minimum rate of $12/hour, with some range based on qualifications.
- This internship will be a part-time position. All applicants MUST be able to work at least 3 days per week between the hours of 10-5 on weekdays (schedule TBD), to a max of 24 hours.
- The Spring internship schedule will run approximately 12-14 weeks, from early September through early December.
- VIZ Media interns are not eligible for standard VIZ Media benefits.
Please send us your resume, cover letter, and 2 writing samples. Please specify “Editorial Intern” when applying. By e-mail (NO ATTACHMENTS!!!) to firstname.lastname@example.org. NO PHONE CALLS!!!
Due to the volume of applicants, we will not be taking phone calls for these internship positions.