Part-Time Digital Publishing Production Intern
This candidate will assist all facets of our Digital Publishing Production group. This group is responsible for taking digital assets and artwork from the editorial team and building VIZ Media graphic novels. Our goal is to send consist high-quality files for distribution through print and digital channels.
- Assists in the creation and QA of final files for distribution.
- Assists in production: Image resizing and manipulation.
- Performs QA testing of manga content on multiple formats (print, iPad, iPhone, web, nook)
- Organizes and catalogs manga and manga artwork archive
- Conducts data copying and filing
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Basic understanding of digital file creation and manipulation
- Experience with student publications, college or high school (yearbook, newspaper, web)
- Experience/Interest in media publishing, comics industry and Japan pop culture
- General knowledge of manga/anime helpful, but extensive knowledge is not needed
- Basic design skills, including use of a scanner and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite. (particularly, InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat.
- Computer literate with Mac systems. Must have basic computer office skills including spreadsheet, database, word processing, CD burning, web browsing, etc.
- Proficient command of English grammar and spelling (proofing/copy editing skills preferable)
- Knowledge of Japanese, Spanish or French language a plus, but not required
- Proficiency with computer usage, including email, Internet, and standard software
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
- This position will be compensated at a rate of $10.24/hour.
- All applicants must currently be enrolled in an accredited college, university, or graduate school program. We will NOT consider candidates who are not currently enrolled in a degree program.
- This internship will be a part-time position. All applicants MUST be able to work at least 12-18 hours/workweek between the hours of 10-5 on weekdays, to a maximum of 20 hours (schedule TBD).
Headquartered in San Francisco, California, VIZ Media distributes, markets and licenses the best anime and manga titles direct from Japan. Owned by three of Japan's largest manga and animation companies, Shueisha Inc., Shogakukan Inc., and Shogakukan-Shueisha Productions, Co., Ltd., VIZ Media has the most extensive library of anime and manga for English speaking audiences in North America, the United Kingdom, Ireland and South Africa.
With its popular digital manga anthology WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP ALPHA magazine and blockbuster properties like NARUTO, BLEACH and INUYASHA, VIZ Media offers cutting-edge action, romance and family friendly properties for anime, manga, science fiction and fantasy fans of all ages. VIZ Media properties are available as graphic novels, DVDs, animated television series, feature films, downloadable and streaming video and a variety of consumer products. Learn more about VIZ Media, anime and manga at www.VIZ.com.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Applicants should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.
Please send us your resume and cover letter. Please specify “Digital Publishing Production Intern” when applying. By e-mail: (NO ATTACHMENTS!!!) to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS!!! See other opportunities at www.viz.com