Design Intern (Part-Time, Paid)
This position will assist all facets of our Creative Department. This group is responsible for all VIZ Media artwork, including that for VIZ Media graphic novels, DVD packaging, product development, marketing, and online.
Candidates MUST be currently enrolled in an accredited college, university, or graduate school program, OR have graduated within one year of the start of the internship.
- Organizes and catalogs artwork archive
- Conducts proof tracking
- Scans artwork, creating clipping paths
- Performs data copying and filing
- Provides general design support and assignments based on skill level
- Conducts simple page layout and production duties
- Assists in helping prep files for printers.
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Basic design skills, including use of a scanner and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite - InDesign and Photoshop STRONGLY PREFERRED.
- Computer literate with Mac systems. Must have basic computer office skills including spreadsheet, database, word processing, CD burning, web browsing, etc.
- Experience/Interest in graphic design, media publishing, comics industry and Japan pop culture
- Proficient command of English grammar and spelling (proofing/copy editing skills preferable)
- Knowledge of Japanese, Spanish or French language a plus, but not required
- General knowledge of manga/anime helpful, but extensive knowledge is not needed
- Proficiency with computer usage, including email, Internet, and standard software
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
ALL INTERNS MUST:
- be currently enrolled in an accredited college, university, or graduate school program, OR have graduated within one year of the start of the internship.
- be able to commute to our San Francisco office (94103).
- be legally available to work in the United States.
- be at least 18 years of age at the time of the start of the internship.
- be available to work at least 3 days per week between the hours of 10-5 on weekdays (schedule TBD), to a max of 24 hours.
COMPENSATION AND SCHEDULE
- This position will be compensated at a rate of $14 per hour.
- This internship will be a part-time position. All applicants MUST be able to work at least 3 days per week between the hours of 10:00am to 5:00pm on weekdays (schedule TBD), to a max of 24 hours.
- The Fall internship schedule will run approximately 12-14 weeks, from September through December (with start/end flexibility depending on school schedule).
- VIZ Media interns are not eligible for standard VIZ Media benefits.
Please send us your resume, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio in the body of an email (NO ATTACHMENTS) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify “Design Intern” when applying.
Due to the volume of applicants, we WILL NOT be taking phone calls for internship positions.
Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media) is one of the most comprehensive and innovative companies in the field of manga (graphic novel) publishing, animation and entertainment licensing of Japanese content. Owned by three of Japan's largest creators and licensors of manga and animation, Shueisha Inc., Shogakukan Inc., and Shogakukan-Shueisha Productions, Co., Ltd., VIZ Media is a leader in the publishing and distribution of Japanese manga for English speaking audiences in North America, the United Kingdom, Ireland, and South Africa and is a global ex-Asia licensor of Japanese manga and animation.
The company offers an integrated product line including magazines such as SHONEN JUMP, graphic novels, and DVDs, and develops, markets, licenses, and distributes animated entertainment for audiences and consumers of all ages.
As part of a multi-media entertainment company, employees may be subjected to work-related content such as: sexually explicit images, nudity, and graphic violence. Applicants should be willing to work with this type of content. VIZ Media does not condone the viewing of this content where not work-related.