Part-Time Design Intern
This candidate will assist all facets of our Design Department. These groups are responsible for artwork for VIZ Media graphic novels, DVD packaging, and product development.
- Organizes and catalogs artwork archive
- Conducts proof tracking
- Scans artwork, creating clipping paths
- Performs data copying and filing
- Provides general design support and assignments based on skill level
- Conducts simple page layout and production duties
- Assists in helping prep files for printers.
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM ABILITY, SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
- Basic design skills, including use of a scanner and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite. In particular, InDesign, Photoshop and Acrobat.
- Computer literate with Mac systems. Must have basic computer office skills including spreadsheet, database, word processing, CD burning, web browsing, etc.
- Experience/Interest in graphic design, media publishing, comics industry and Japan pop culture
- Proficient command of English grammar and spelling (proofing/copy editing skills preferable)
- Knowledge of Japanese, Spanish or French language a plus, but not required
- General knowledge of manga/anime helpful, but extensive knowledge is not needed
- Proficiency with computer usage, including email, Internet, and standard software
- Ability to speak, read, and write effectively in English
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate and interact professionally with culturally diverse clients, providers, and staff
- Ability to work effectively in a small organization with an emphasis on teamwork
- Ability to work legally in the United States
- Ability to live in/commute to the San Francisco Bay Area
ALL INTERNS MUST:
- be currently enrolled in an accredited college, university, or graduate school program. We will NOT consider candidates who are not currently enrolled in a degree program. Precedence is given to applicants the final two years of undergraduate degrees or those pursuing graduate programs.
- be able to commute to our San Francisco office (94103).
- be legally available to work in the United States.
- be at least 18 years of age at the time of the start of the internship.
- be available to work at least 3 days per week between the hours of 10-5 on weekdays (schedule TBD), to a max of 24 hours.
COMPENSATION AND SCHEDULE
- This position will be compensated at a minimum rate of $10.55/hour, with some range based on qualifications.
- This internship will be a part-time position. All applicants MUST be able to work at least 3 days per week between the hours of 10-5 on weekdays (schedule TBD), to a max of 24 hours.
- The Winter/Spring internship schedule will run approximately 12-14 weeks, from late January through early/mid May.
- VIZ Media interns are not eligible for standard VIZ Media benefits.
Please send us your resume, cover letter, and link to portfolio. Please specify “Design Intern” when applying. By e-mail (NO ATTACHMENTS!!!) to email@example.com. NO PHONE CALLS!!!
Due to the volume of applicants, we will not be taking phone calls for these internship positions.